[sw-l] SW system type... alphabetic vs. others ( pictographic, ideographic

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 21 14:26:54 UTC 2005

I agree with you, Ingvild, Even the title of IMWA
underlines this.  It's the International Movement
Writing Alphabet.  It is an ordered system of symbols
(which is what an alphabet is).  The symbols are
ideograms, of a sort, but the fact that they are
ordered, systematized, and interchangeable, makes them
an alphabet.  I can take a movement and attach every
handshape to it (within reason), that makes it very
much a "phonetic" system, substitution works to show
that movement is a distinct symbol from handshape.