[sw-l] SW system type... alphabetic vs. others ( pictographic, ideographic, logographic)

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jun 21 20:32:24 UTC 2005

Hello all,

I think "alphabetic" is a good word to mean: an
ordered system of symbols, icons, or other
transcription to record utterance of meaning.  The
emphasis is on "order" and "system" not simply
writing.  Chinese characters are not an alphabet,
Korean is.  SW because of the Sign-Symbol-Sequence
follows a logical system  of handshapes as its first
grouping, which are in an order of which fingers are
used and how they are articulated.

An alphabet (from Greek alpha-beta, the first two
letters of the Greek alphabet).  This includes both
oral languages (Roman, Greek, Arabic, Cherokee), and
signed languages (ASL, Libras, ballet).  IMWA, if it
were following that style would be named "1-2" but it
gets its title from an English word to describe a
transcription system.

Note that I consider ballet a language, as it is an
ordered system of mimes telling a story.

--- Marc Girod & Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod