[sw-l] IMWA & Language-Specific Symbolsets

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Wed Jun 22 20:13:27 UTC 2005

I think your specific symbol set is a good idea.  However, from what I
understand about Unicode and its philosophy, they do not group things
by language, but by writing system.  For example, even though most
European languages use the Latin alphabet plus a certain range of
diacritic markings, there is only one encoding for all of those
symbols. In other words, Unicode is a repository of symbols that any
language can utilize to express itself and everyone knows what symbol
you are talking about. If my understanding is correct, it would be
better as far as Unicode is concerned to have the whole IMWA.

Now that does not mean that we couldn't set things up so that we have a
designated range for IMWA based on a mapping like what Tomas suggested.
Instead of closing things off entirely, we could map some "blank rows"
in each group so that the Unicode set has some room to grow. It may
also be possible that we could set up different ranges to cover
SignWriting versus DanceWriting.  Even though the IMWA has it in one
numbering scheme, we could map the SignWriting from IMWA to a specific
Unicode range, and then map DanceWriting or any of the other movement
writing systems to another range in Unicode. As long as it doesn't
seriously affect the sorting process, it should not be a problem.

As far as the issue with rotations, it may be possible to treat
rotations within Unicode as a set of 8 "diacritics" which the renderer
processes to create the actual symbol like we would expect.  This can
get around Steve's concern about all the rotations being mapped to the
base symbol, while still keeping the actual count of symbols lower. It
shouldn't be too difficult to remap a two character sequence back to
the IMWA scheme. Theoretically, we could do the fills the same way, but
maybe not worth it.  This approach puts less work on the font side
itself and more work on the input process and the renderer.  Of course,
we can leave all the work to the font itself and just have a code point
for every symbol.  We just have to figure out what is best when the
time is right to begin working on Unicode.

Thanks,

Stuart