[sw-l] thumb diagonal down

Tue Mar 1 03:25:30 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 28, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> Thumbs are difficult to write ... and lots of misspellings can be seen
> here
> So I do not know how to write this sign for "Benzin" in DGS
> Thanks for your support

Hello Everyone, and Stefan -
Thank you for this question. I love getting questions from all of you,
and you always have my support!!

Yes, I know the sign for "benzin", which means gas, automobile
petrol....the person is using their thumb to show the action of putting
gas into a car...

And although thumbs can be weird, they do not have to be hard...Let me
give you an example...You may be surprised to know that I do not care
if the hand is facing palm down in this case...the thumb direction is
what matters, not the palm facing direction..Just as long as the thumb
is going in the right direction, they will understand the sign...So
rather than worrying about a palm facing that does not exist in
everyday writing, be flexible and choose what you have, and then use
the movement arrows to give you the feeling of that down diagonal
movement...the palm facing does not have to be in the diagonal if the
movement arrows give you the information anyway...So I would choose one
of these, and then see next message for my two ways of writing the same
sign...