[sw-l] which is better: handwritten or printed?

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Tue Mar 1 16:03:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 1 Mar 2005, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:

> On Mar 1, 2005, at 5:37 AM, Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> > Val, I find myself doing the handwritten version faster than I do with
> > the computer - is it a good thing or what?
>
> Of course, Shane!! Handwriting is always faster...using a typewriter or
> a computer is for long documents that have to be printed etc, but
> picking up a pencil and paper and jotting something down is the way
> SignWriting started ... ... computers are great, but pencil and paper is
> just as great! ;-)

I've long had the idea that a PDA-based SignWriter would provide the best
of both media. The stylus and screen replacing paper and pen and software
similar to Palm's graffiti hand-writing recognition system would recognise
the SignWriting input and convert it some form ready for exchange with
SignWriter 4/5, and the tools that Sandy Fleming or Lars Majewski are
creating.

Perhaps during summer recess I'll have time to produce a prototype. Would
mean that the Palm m505 I bought in 2001 specifically for developing that
prototype finally gets used for its intended purpose. ;-)

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!