[sw-l] thumb diagonal down

Tue Mar 1 16:16:28 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
march 1st, 2005

Sandy -What you diagramed was from the Expressive View...but I believe
I understand your question now...Are you asking..."How do we write
hands pointing straight forward, that are not parallel to the floor,
and are not parallel to my chest, but are instead pointing forward on
the diagonal plane? Is that your question?...

The answer is two-fold...

1. Yes. In Movement Writing, for research or other detailed writing, we
do have a way to write hands on the Diagonal Plane...

2. But for SignWriting for Everyday Use....I choose not to write the
hands parallel to three planes...I only use two planes for everyday
writing....the Wall and the Floor...those are really the Frontal Plane
and the Transverse Plane in technical terms...

So yes, it can be written, but the truth is, you can usually avoid
forcing people to learn a third plane, by realizing that people sign a
tiny bit different and people still understand each other...so you can
be creative and only use the Wall and Floor planes...

Now...if you want to know how to write hands on the Diagonal Plane for
research purposes, I can teach you that...would you like that?  Val ;-)