[sw-l] FINGER MOVEMENT Alternating

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 1 19:35:38 UTC 2005

Then how would would show when the thumb and the forefinger actually do alternate?  That's what I do with "bird".  It's NOT the forefinger moving alone, but both the thumb and forefinger moving.  Are you saying you can't show the thumb moving alternately with a finger if that's what you are actually doing?  I'm confused.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
This is not Alternating Movement, Charles...This is Hinge
Movement...big difference!! Of course HInge Movement can be used with
Thumbs!! But Alternating means that one finger goes one direction at
the same time that the other finger goes the other direction...Hinge
Movement and Alternating Movement are two different things...This
thumb, in your example, is like a Hinge on a door and it is not
Alternating with any other finger...

> ATTACHMENT part 2 image/png name=pistol.png; x-unix-mode=0666

Val ;-)

On Mar 1, 2005, at 11:02 AM, Charles Butler wrote:

> I don't understand why the "thumb" cannot be considered a "finger"
> when writing alternating finger movement, unless you have some other
> way to write movement, compare pistol, and bird.
>
>   bird,
 pistol.  Both of these would not be