[sw-l] im a very poor salesman of the SW!

Sun Mar 6 05:44:35 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 5, 2005

Hello Everyone, and Shane...Thanks for this message...You are not a
poor salesman! It usually takes three times before a person becomes
interested...The first time they hear about SignWriting they are
against it. The second time they hear about it, they wonder, why would
anyone want to do that? And the third time, they start to think about
it and begin to see why and they become interested...so give it
time...and don't try to sell anyone...just share the idea and say that
some people enjoy writing signs now, and then they won't feel like you
are asking them to change...some people get frightened if they think
someone is trying to sell them on an idea...but if they see it from
afar...like...oh some people like that, huh? then they don't feel
pressured and that helps...

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa wrote:
> What's the general attitude towards sign-writing in Finland (if any)?

As far as I know, Finland is no different than any other country. There
are small groups of people who use SignWriting, and I can give you a
few contacts I have, but as a whole, most people have never heard of
SignWriting...They will in time!...

By the way, have you visited our web pages....

SignWriting in Finland
http://www.SignWriting.org/finland/finland.html

and did you know that we have a Finnish Sign Language version of
SignWriter DOS?..with Finnish words on the screen and the Finnish
Fingerspelling Keyboard in SignWriting? Your friend can download it...

Finnish Computer Program
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/download/

You and your friend might be interested in this story on the web:

Fond Memories by Paulette Sottak (Deaf)
http://www.signwriting.org/deaf/fond/fond01.html

Written by my Deaf co-teacher Paulette Sottak, after teaching a
workshop on SignWriting in Copenhagen in 1990...You will see pictures
of me, and Ingvild Roald, and some Finnish participants...

And there have been several Finnish members of the SignWriitng List
from time to time...

Why not ask your friend to try to add some Finnish signs to our Finnish
SignPuddle on the web?

You can teach her Shane...go to:

Finnish SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-FI

> As we Europeans know, deaf education in Finland is very superior
> compared to
> other countries in the EU - they really focus on SVK (Finnish Sign
> Language)
> as a teaching language in Finland's deaf schools.

Is that right? That is excellent!!! ;-)

> I was explaining to my Finnish guest (who is over in Belfast staying
> with me
> - poor lass!) - I was explaining to her about the SignWriting etc -
> and I
> had to explain that there are 3 main systems: SignWriting, Stokoe and
> HamNoSys - her eyes widened in horror.

That isn't true! I would explain it differently. I would start like
this...

"Did you know that some Deaf children are learning to read and write
their own Sign Language now, in schools in different countries...such
as Germany, the US, Belgium and others? Sign languages are becoming
written languages in some classrooms around the world...

Then she will say...."No. I didn't know that"...what is the name of the
system?..." And I would answer...

"SignWriting. It is designed as a daily writing system for any sign
language in the world, and it has made it possible to write Sign
Language Literature and Deaf poetry directly in the movements of signed
languages, without any spoken languages...no need to gloss words any
longer, because we can write the movements the way the signs look...

And maybe she would then ask..."Are there any other systems?"....and I
would answer..."SignWriting is the only one for writing Sign Language
Literature, and because of that fact, it is used in Deaf Education and
in Bi-lingual schools for writing children's stories and newspaper
articles in Sign Language etc...

There are other research-oriented linguistic-based notation systems
developed by linguists for their research labs, but those systems, such
as HamNoSys, Stokoe...and maybe 50 to a hundred others...are not used
on a daily basis by Deaf children...they are not writing systems. They
are notation systems. There is a big difference.

And Shane, let me explain. Did you know if you tried to write a
children's story in HamNoSys or the Stokoe system, that it would be
very hard to read and write?...That is why the only system used to
write Sign Language Literature is SignWriting...

Take a look at this comparison.... Can you imagine writing a complete
children's story in HamNoSys or the Stokoe system? Did you know that
HamNoSys and Stokoe cannot write Facial expressions? or if they can,
people don't seem to know how to do that in their systems...

  And did you know that there are many more notation systems for
linguistics than just those two others?! I could list around 50....But
NONE of those 50 are used to write Sign Language poetry and Literature
except SignWriting...That is because none of them are daily writing
systems designed for sign language literacy...they are for linguistics
research and that is a different world...

ironically, SignWriting is now used for linguistic research too...but
that is because SignWriting is spreading and the researchers have no
choice but to study how Deaf people and signers choose to write...