[sw-l] Leanne from UK asks about BSL...

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Mon Mar 7 22:53:29 UTC 2005

Leanne,

You may wish to take a look at
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-GB/search.php where some BSL signs have
been written out in SignWriting.

Then there are three web sites with short video clips

http://www.artsigns.ac.uk/
http://www.sciencesigns.ac.uk
http://www.engineeringsigns.ac.uk/

They have subject specific vocabulary; used by those of us working with
deaf students in schools and colleges. There are a few other web sites but
nothing to teach you BSL as a language. Definitely nothing for the
absolute beginner unfortunately. :-(

Your local public library may have some videos and books --- unless you
live in my village in which case you're out of luck because I have them
out on almost permanent loan. ;-)

Unless you have deaf relatives who use BSL themselves an evening class at
a local college is the usual route to learning the language. Depends where
you live. The CACDP web site includes a list of colleges that may be
running courses, try http://www.cacdp.org.uk They are the recognised
examining body. The British Deaf Association are launching a BSL Academy
that will offer different courses/qualifications. Try http://www.bda.org.uk

Watch See Hear on BBC2 most Saturdays about 12noon. Signed in BSL with
subtitles too. There's also Vee TV on Channel 4 but that only does a short
series of programmes.

Not quite what you were looking I know but other than attending a course
there isn't much else available ... yet.

> Can anyone help Leanne?....
>
> From: leanne taylor <leanne.taylor3 at btinternet.com>
> Date: March 7, 2005 1:05:38 PM PST
> To: Sutton at SignWriting.org
>
> do you no any helpful websites for a 13 year old trying to learn bsl

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!