[sw-l] NISL sign for "house" (2nd sign)

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Thu Mar 10 21:17:57 UTC 2005

Val,

The 2nd one - that sign is a very common BSL sign for "house" - we have that
in NISL but it is usually used for "my house", "your house", "my mother's
house" etc - whereas the first sign we use for "deaf-house" = deaf club/deaf
centre etc.

For instance, using the 2nd sign in BSL (and to assist Trevor/Sandy)

(in BSL)

police-house = barracks (Belfast-English) or police station, swim-house =
swimming pool, sport-house = sport club, theatre-house = a theatre,
horse-house = stables, dog-house = kennel, car-house = garage (at home)

Sadly only native signers tend to go for that - whereas the majority
(English-in-their-BSL) will go for initialized signs.

Shane