AW: [sw-l] SignWriting Report with Ingvild Roald from Norway ;- )

Nana Dumitra nana.dumitra at SCHLOSSKLAUS.AT
Fri Mar 11 03:54:20 UTC 2005

<?bigger>
Dear Val,
just curious: What did you discuss about SignWriting in the Philippines? Who
is the person that was at your meeting? Maybe we could get in touch? What so
you think?
We are just getting ready to go to Europe for three months so I will not be
on-line for a few days.
Greetings to everyone,
Nana in the Philippines :-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Valerie Sutton [mailto:sutton at signwriting.org]
Gesendet: Freitag, 11. März 2005 04:59
An: SIGNWRITING List
Betreff: [sw-l] SignWriting Report with Ingvild Roald from Norway ;-)

SignWriting List
March 10, 2005

SignWriting Report
>>From Val's Desk in California ;-)

Dear SW List -
Ingvild Roald is here visiting me from Norway....Ingvild gave a great
presentation to our Board Meeting last Monday night. Six Board Members
attended...plus another guest from the Philippines, and Ingvild. We did our
annual voting and discussing finances, bookkeeping, accounting, taxes and
fund raising, and then we all piled into three cars and drove to a nearby
restaurant and had dinner, and Ingvild then shared her experiences and
accomplishments with us. Ingvild has been using SignWriting in the Norwegian
schools and as a part of her research since 1983. We learned so much!! Thank
you, Ingvild. Our Board Members really enjoyed it. Anne Goldman, one of our
Board Members, is a teacher of multiply-handicapped children here in San
Diego, and Anne is also a Danish-American, and also lived and worked in
South Africa for 15 years...so the conversation was very international and
really fascinating. We also discussed SignWriting in the Philippines.

Tuesday and Wednesday Ingvild and I worked on testing the new SignWriter
Tiger program, which is being programmed by Daniel Noelpp, in Switzerland.
Daniel is creating a new version of SignWriter DOS and SignWriter Java,
re-built, from the ground-up, in the new version of Java called Tiger. That
is why it is called SignWriter Tiger.

SignWriter Tiger will not be ready for users until the end of 2005, but
Ingvild and I tested what we have right now, and we really enjoyed the
process. It will be exciting when the program is ready for use...It is a
very attractive program, with a nice-looking user interface...It feels like
a blend of the DOS and old Java interfaces, which I think is quite
impressive...Many thanks to Daniel and his brother, Matthias, for the hard
work they have put into SignWriter Tiger.

Then we telephoned Daniel and his brother Matthias yesterday, in
Switzerland...just to say hello!! Daniel is Deaf and Mattias is
hard-of-hearing but the four of us understood each other well...Mattias did
some interpreting...All in all it was a nice way to be in touch....Someday I
look forward to using the videophone and sign language with Daniel and
Matthias, but for right now, this was a way to have brief contact at
least...

Then Ingvild and I telephoned Dr. Penny Boyes Braem and Siv Fosshaug in
Switzerland. Penny interpreted...;-))

Siv is a Deaf Norwegian, who lives in Switzerland...and Siv and Ingvild know
each other....So Ingvild invited Siv to join a new organization...called
SignWriting in Norway....or Tegnskrift i Norge....and Siv accepted...it is
great to have so many people using SignWriting in both Norway and
Switzerland. Siv, Penny and another Deaf co-worker, Carmen Steiner, are all
adding Swiss-German signs into their SignPuddle now.

Today, Thursday...and tomorrow...Ingvild and I are editing Ingvild's new
book, entitled...

<?/bigger>