[sw-l] Translation requested in ASL...

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Tue Mar 15 18:49:16 UTC 2005

Well, for me, it's like ballet.  Ballet is a set form of mime which expresses concepts, not words.  If I say "Dancing across the floor" the ballet dancer dances across the floor, she doesn't sign the four words.  So, if one thinks rythymically one can express the signs as "gesture" and think of "concept" for "concept".  It requires an adept interpreter to do this, which I only sometimes am, but here is an ASL attempt to show what I mean.

Dancing across the floor.  You set up the floor, the direction, and then the action. As a choreographer, any motion can fit with any word, and signing music is choreography, as much as "translation".

In the Chorus, we have intepreters whose sole function is to sign the music.  Sometimes it's rhythmical, sometimes its straight translation, but it is always storytelling.

Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote:
Charles,

That's interesting, and I hope not unrelated to SW as SW has more
potential than anything else for making it possible to create good
quality translations.

So to continue the discussion, I've never actually seen a genuine BSL
song being performed along with the English words, only signs in the
order of the words, regardless of BSL grammar.

What I'd like to know is, how do you actually perform a BSL or ASL song?
Are the English words discarded? Is the music discarded? Or is one group
responsible for English and another for the signed language? Or are
there people who can sing and sign together even though the word order
doesn't match?

Sandy