[sw-l] Re: [sw-l] how to write ¯ and S.

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Mon Mar 21 16:07:00 UTC 2005

Charles, I could not see the pics you attached. :-(

Lucyna
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Charles Butler
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Sent: Monday, March 21, 2005 2:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [sw-l] how to write ¯ and S.

  Query on this sign.  Does the index finger close (like making an ASL x) or is it simply a point in the air.  If a point in the air, it should be a pressure mark rather than a point.   A pressure implies an abrupt stop but the handshape doesn't change.

  The spot is specific to closing the index finger to a hook like "question" (ASL).

  Here is "point" to compare.    The primary hand stops short of actually touching the second hand.  I think you want the "tilde" to imply that point.

  Valerie, what do you think?  With things like "dos puntos" like co-ordinate in some spellings, how would you put the two points, or the o-dot in Swedish, etc.

  Chalres

  Lucyna Dlugolecka <deafie at gmx.net> wrote:
    I have also a problem with writing '¯'. It is just a Z with a spot above it. And we sign this so as if we were writing the character with a finger in the air. So, I have come up with such a sign: .

    Correct?

    I wanted also to write the S we sign in PJM but I could not find any appropriate hand position in the SignMaker diagram. We sign the S as on the attached pic (I sign with my left hand but write signs down as if they were signed with the right hand).

    Lucyna

    GG 3618151 SMS +48505273292