AW: [sw-l] how to write K

Mon Mar 21 23:39:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 21, 2005

On Mar 21, 2005, at 3:13 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> Starting from parallel to the wall fingers upward I would choose the
> wristmovement arrow as is shown in the attached gif
> I try to express the same movement as you describe with the downward
> arrow ..

Yes, I noticed that version of forward-wrist-flex in the Polish
SignPuddle...So let me explain why I write it with a down wrist-flex...

Let us imagine that you place your fingers and hand in a can of black
paint. You will paint the path of the movement on what plane? I believe
that the hand starts parallel to the wall, and to get to the forward
position of the finishing position of the hand, it has no choice but to
paint the path of the fingers going down parallel to the wall, until
the hand is parallel to the floor...So for me, the movement still feels
like it is down, not forward....I can imagine my fingernails making a
black line down the front wall to get into that forward ending
position...Anyway...if you disagree that is ok! These two are very
close, that is for sure, and it may be that both would be read ok...see
diagram...I wrote this at the bottom of the diagram...