[sw-l] POLAND... how to write Ż and S.

Mon Mar 28 18:12:47 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 28, 2005

On Mar 21, 2005, at 3:04 AM, Lucyna Dlugolecka wrote:
> I have also a problem with writing 'Ż'. It is just a Z with a spot
> above it. And we sign this so as if we were writing the character with
> a finger in the air. So, I have come up with such a sign....Correct?

Hello Lucy!
I am sorry. I cannot read this sign, and I am not sure what you want.
When we write the Z in ASL, for example, the entire arm or hand does
the Z motion in the air. That is why we have the Z-like movment arrow
for our ASL Z. But that ASL writing does not show movements of the
fingers themselves...it shows movement of the whole hand....In your
writing, I am guessing that you are trying to show only movements of
the finger itself, without moving the hand? is that right? That would
be written differently. Can you create a photo or life-like drawing of
your Z so I could see it?...Your writing, right now, tells me the
following...

1. we are seeing the back of index-hand
2. the entire hand zigzags back toward my chest
3. then the entire hand curves side, forward and then side again
4. and then it bends from the middle joint of the index finger, down,
so it squeezes into a bent finger...

I doubt this is what you meant?....smile...Val ;-)