[sw-l] im a very poor salesman of the SW!

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Sun Mar 6 09:18:22 UTC 2005

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005, Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa <shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at franc...:

> She said "how can we benefit from that?"
>
> "Better sign language skills - better understanding of how it works!"

There's a paper being presented as part of the Third Supporting Deaf
People online conference that gives a different view on orthography of
signed languages: repeatablity.

    "British Sign Language is unfortunate in the sense that its signed
    mode is not easily 'repeatable'. By 'repeatable', I mean the ability
    to be able to constantly refer to signed BSL extracts compared with
    written English passages." From Using eBooks to develop Deaf students'
    bilingualism by Steve Gibson.

English in this sense is repeatable because we can pick up a book and read
examples of it. Without SignWriting we can't do the same for BSL, NISL,
SVK, ASL, STS, or any other signed language. As an English user I can read
books and expand my already sesquipedalian vocabulary, as a learner of
Swedish I can do the same, but as a user/learner of BSL that didactic
reinforcement method is not available to me.

SDP3 runs from 10 to 16 March 2005. Participants have access to the papers
now for discussion during the conference period. I know others from this
list are participating; there may still be time for more to join in.
Papers from the earlier SDP1 and SDP2 conferences are available online
from http://www.online-conference.co.uk/ and are well worth reading.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!