[sw-l] Translation requested in ASL...

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue Mar 15 18:31:47 UTC 2005

Well, from what I have observed in my contacts with deaf musicians, for
hearing songs, the rhythm is retained, but the song is recast in ASL.
Often, the visual impact is increased that way because ASL is free to
use its iconicity to convey the same meanings.

I remember watching one deaf man sign the hymn "How Great Thou Art". In
the original music he was using, there was a beginning stretch of music
with no words. So what he did was paint a visual scene that led into
the beginning words of the song. That created the same kind of mood as
the music was intending to create prior to the words.

Sometimes the "words" are completely different which throw off hearing
people who know both languages sometimes. But the meaning is usually
retained or interpreted to communicate better. For example, the same
deaf musician, in his expression of the hymn "Amazing Grace", for the
phrase "I once was lost, but now am found", his ASL really says
something to the effect that "before I wandered off, but God tapped me
on the shoulder, gently turned my head to Him, and guided me back." It
reminds me of what the Klingonists say about Shakespeare: "You can't
really appreciate Shakespeare until you read it in the original
Klingon." :-)

Thanks,

Stuart