[sw-l] Translation requested in ASL...

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Tue Mar 15 19:06:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005, Sandy Fleming <sandy at scotstext.org> wrote:

> So to continue the discussion, I've never actually seen a genuine BSL
> song being performed along with the English words, only signs in the
> order of the words, regardless of BSL grammar.

I sign songs in church quite regularly; typically once a month
occasionally more frequently.

The problem is whether to do BSL or (what Shane might call) BSL with a
London accent that is with loads of English lip. ;-)

> Are the English words discarded? Is the music discarded? Or is one group
> responsible for English and another for the signed language? Or are
> there people who can sing and sign together even though the word order
> doesn't match?

It depends upon the audience as much as the song. Some want songs in SSE
some want BSL. When you get both groups in front of you it can be very
difficult. My personal style is to sign in BSL and then lip the English
lyrics.

There is a major problem with the English. Although my church doesn't use
hymns very often --- if it means anything to you Matt Redman used to be
our worship director --- we tend to have the latest songs. All very nice
but ... sometimes the original English words can appear meaningless and I
don't just mean in the modern stuff. For example, how many of you have see
an panoply recently; yet it is mentioned in a very popular Victorian hymn.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!