[sw-l] Val - GO FOR THE DVDs!

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Fri Mar 18 20:00:36 UTC 2005

Val,

Because of the EU harmonization, more and more member-states have started to
use the same format i.e. NSTC was the USA standard etc - whereas we have our
DVD thingy.

Go for multi-region DVDs, Val. Why?

1. it can be played in any country

2. Picture quality is higher - and more popular

3. you can basically edit it yourself on ur own Apple - which is a real
beauty - just buy FINAL CUT PRO for your Apple - and get a SuperDrive - and
attend a training course on FINAL CUT PRO (it ll last a day or two) - ask
your local APPLE STORE for advice

4. DVDs can be used anywhere - it can be played on computers, TVs,
everything

5. even the British Deaf Association have started using the DVD format
(thanks to me and a few deaf technies who advocated their staff to wise up)

6. even the SLCB (my work) will go for DVD - we get very annoyed when some
companies wont go for DVD they ll send us the video and we have to go and
drag a very old video machine, praying it ll still work!

==

most DVDs are usually multi-region unless they're designed to be for
one-region - Trevor, youre talking about a few years ago - most DVD players
are multi-region now - even the cheap ones! - just don’t scare Val!)

I am very annoyed with the people who makes THE BRAVO FAMILY video series -
they are NOT available in DVD format!

I can get you in touch with Raymond Luczak, a very extraordinary deaf film
maker in New York City - maybe you can get him to make a few DVDs for you -
I saw some of his DVDs and they're very good (and they WORK on my DVD player
here!)

Shane