[sw-l] CLASSIFIERS...ASL document from video

Wed Mar 23 16:19:22 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 23, 2005

Nancy Emery from US wrote:
> I am attaching a Word document that contains part of the transcription
> I've been working on for my Master's thesis - pictures from SignWriter
> Java, with text in between (first a sort of gloss, and then a freer
> translation).  Becuase that sort of interlinear transcription of text
> is sort of standard in linguistics, I have the SW going left to right
> rather than top to bottom, although I am aware of the arguments for
> writing SW vertically and they make sense to me for other uses.
>
> This is transcribed from a video from the "Signing Naturally level 2"
> series by DawnSign Press, it is from a story called "the Ball" by Ben
> Bahan.  This part is sort of from the middle - it's a story about a
> ball that is created in an experiment and it comes alive (breathes!)
> and starts bouncing off and then various people and animals see it and
> follow along, it's like a kid's story with a lot of repetition as each
> one sees the line of characters run by and then joins in, and each
> character is represented by a different classifier until it's almost
> all told in classifiers.  I am transcribing in expressive notation.

Hello Nancy and Everyone!
Thank you for this excellent document. I have made a screen capture of
it, and will attached it to the next email message...I know that you
cannot get permission to post the video, because the publishers,
DawnSignPress, have not given you permission...so we cannot view the
video...that makes it harder for me to comment, so there is another
way...I will use words to try to describe what you wrote in
SignWriting, and if I have misunderstood your SignWriting, then you
will know we have something to discuss...so ask questions about what I
write in the next messages...