[sw-l] Head Movement, Nose moving up and down, double-stem arrows

Thu Mar 24 22:30:32 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
March 24, 2005

On Mar 24, 2005, at 1:57 PM, nemery at u.washington.edu wrote:
> hi Val - I see there are lots of options for head movement in the IMWA!
> But in the Signwriter keyboard, the doublestemmed arrows that show the
> head is turning sideways are on the side of the head, not on the top -
> so that's why mine turned up on the side, because I was using SW Java
> - I typed 8 a l and that produced the head with the arrow on the side.
>  So is it okay to keep it that way?

Ha! I am the designer of all these keyboards and symbols, including
both the Java and the IMWA programs so I have to laugh at myself that I
had completely forgotten that issue in SignWriter Java. The symbols in
the Java program are called the SSS-1999, because they were developed
in 1999. But the IMWA is 2004-2005...So now I remember that I moved all
the arrows to the top of the head in the IMWA making it more
consistent...

So to answer your question, Nancy...of course keep the heads just as
you typed them with SignWriter Java - You have no choice!! And they are
perfectly readable, although a little out of date ;-)

Ready for the next line of analysis?... Val ;-)