[sw-l] Thank you, Everyone! and Easter around the world...

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Sun Mar 27 19:51:01 UTC 2005

The religious part of Polish Easter is very similar to what Trevor has
described. Painted eggs (called pisanki) are known in Poland and their
roots are pagan. Poles put the egss and other food in a basket and bring it
to church in Saturday so that the priest blesses it. There are no masses on
this day. In the Easter Sunday morning the families gather in their homes
for shared, ceremonial breakfasts (the blessed food is eated then, as well
as traditional meals and cakes). On Easter Monday men and boys douse
girls and women with water (very little or just a bucket). The meaning of
this
very old pagan custom is similar to the Czech custom described by Honza. I
hate it!
Generally, Polish Easter is very religious in its nature. However, many
young people are atheist or are believers but don't attend any church.
Official data are that 99% of Poles believe in God and about 92% are
baptised but most people aged 20-35 I know don't attend any church or do it
several times a year. So, the holiday is more and more secular and
commercialized (chocolate rabbits and other stuff adopted from the West
customs are sold in stores...)
I have made some photos and am thinking of creating a web page to show
 you the characteristics of Polish Easter. As soon as it ready, I'll let you
know
the web address.

Lucyna