[sw-l] SSS and IMWA

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Wed Mar 30 14:32:38 UTC 2005

SSS-1995 and SSS-1999 are used in SignWriter Dos and Java.  Both of these
sets do not contain all of the symbols needed to write any type of
movement..

Next came the SSS-2002, with a different numbering scheme and more symbols.

Finally came the SSS-2004.  This was the first set with enough symbols to
claim the title of the International Movement Writing Alphabet.  It does not
have every symbol needed, but it has room to grow.  The numbering scheme
will not change.  The specific number for any particular symbol will not
change.  It is an exhaustive and stable set.

So the term IMWA is a rebranding of the SSS.

While conversion routines are needed between the various SSS (1995, 1999,
2002, 2004), the IMWA will not need conversion routines. Once something is
written in the IMWA, it will still be valid and correct for future versions
of the IMWA.

-Stephen