[sw-l] literacy project

Mon May 2 13:41:58 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 2, 2005

Suzanne Pach wrote:
> I was wondering, how many schools in how many countries
> join the literacy project?

Hello Suzanne and Everyone -
I understand your question as really asking: How many schools use
SignWriting?....That is the important question. And believe it or not,
I am not sure of the answer, since I hear occasionally of schools that
are using SignWriting, that I personally never knew about...They
learned SignWriitng on the internet and started to use it without
telling me or anyone and I am happy with that!!

There are people in 30 countries who use SignWriting that I know about,
and I know of schools or classes that use SignWriting in around 20 of
those countries, including:

Germany
Denmark
Norway
Belgium
Nicaragua
USA
Brazil
German-Switzerland
French-Switzerland
and so forth...

The SignWriting Literacy Project is the name of a specific project that
requires teachers to fill out forms, to receive donated materials...I
fund the donations personally, so I cannot accept more than five
schools in a year.

So not all schools that use SignWriting are in the Literacy Project.
Some schools pay for their materials without receiving donations or
filling out forms! Or they create their own materials...

The Literacy Project requires teachers to fill out web report forms. In
fact, in my next message, I will be posting a Teacher's Report from
Belgium...Teachers Kathleen Heylen and Sara Geudens are members of the
SignWriting Literacy Project. Their first web report is posted on this
web page:

Flemish SignWriting Literacy Project
Letter of Request to Join
http://signwriting.org/belgium/kasterlinden01.html