[sw-l] I am teaching SW by videophone today!

Sat May 7 18:17:25 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 7, 2005

Dear SW Listers -
I am so excited, and a little nervous. Kevin Clark, a Deaf DAC member
(see http://www.signwriting.org/deaf/deaf011.html), lives in
Sacramento, California, which is at least 500 miles north of where I
live...Yesterday Kevin wrote to ask if I could teach the history of
SignWriting to his Deaf Studies class, which has two full-day classes
on the next two Saturdays. Sooo...guess what? I am going to teach today
from 1:00 to 2:00 pm, sitting in my office in San Diego!

I have my D-link i2eye videophone hooked up to my broadband internet
connection, and it also is connected to my television set. You turn the
D-link on, and you see yourself on the TV screen. Then I will wait for
the classroom to call me on their videophone, and then I can see them
on the TV and they can see me on their TV...so there are no computers
involved...

So if this becomes more and more accepted as a good way to communicate,
it means that I can travel and teach around the world without leaving
home! And this is free in cost, except for the cost of paying for the
internet connection, which I pay anyway, and the purchase of the
videophone, which was under 200 US dollars...so very inexpensive...

I will tell you how it goes ;-)))

I haven't taught SignWriting face to face with people for a very long
time...smile...

Val ;-)
Sutton at SignWriting.org

Videophone: