[sw-l] SignWriting Art from Christoph, age 11, in Germany ; -)

Sun May 8 17:39:45 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 8, 2005

Shane and Stefan -
The world is fortunate that there are people like you both, who
understand that communication and a feeling of happiness, is more
important than flawless speech..and these studies on cochlear implants
are not grasping that hearing (non-deaf) children love signed languages
too and benefit from signed languages, so even if the cochlear implants
really made deaf children become non-deaf children, they would still
benefit from signed languages...so why take away signed languages, just
because there is a machine that helps some hearing?...

And this saddens me greatly, to hear about Denmark. When I worked with
the Danish school system in the 1980's they were very strong on
bi-lingual education that was really great...DSL and spoken Danish were
treated as two separate languages and SignWriting was a part of that.
Their bi-lingual education was very sophisiticated and way ahead of its
time...historically they had really accomplished
something...SignWriting was used in the schools for Deaf children from
1982-1988, and a great report was written about SignWriting in the
schools...I had plans of translating that report from Danish to
English, but it takes some time...but that needs to be done...my Danish
is fluent and I can do the translation and I should, because they
learned important facts about bi-lingual education and it was
positive...

Then something weird happened...Denmark changed. I do not believe that
the bi-lingual program is strong there now and I know that some of the
old sign language teachers are suffering for this...

It may swing back again...who knows?

Val ;-)