[sw-l] Polish SignWriting presentation...

Mon May 9 13:43:28 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 9, 2005

Lucyna Dlugolecka from Poland wrote:
> A week ago I was at the Krakow Pedagogical University, which I
> graduated a few years ago, to give a speech on PJM and SW to Deaf
> Education students and doctors. NONE of them even tried to sign to me
> or at least use finger spelling! Fortunately I could read read their
> lips and understand their questions, and some where odd to me:
> 1. Do you think that 4-5-year deaf children should learn PJM?
> 2. Do you think that Deaf people should work as teachers in schools
> for the Deaf?
> 3. What does Professor Szczepankowski think about SignWriting?
> (Szczepankowski is the author of Signed Polish, which is currently
> used in Polish schools for the Deaf).

Congratulations, Lucyna, on your presentation at Krakow Pedagogical
University. This is a true accomplishment!

And the questions you were asked, by the audience, are not that
different than questions we all receive, around the world, from people
who know little about deafness, signed languages or SignWriting...

I am curious...How did you answer number 3? What does the Professor
think about SignWriting? smile...