[sw-l] SPAIN...SIGNWRITER JAVA tech support

Tue May 10 17:26:32 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 10, 2005

Eloy Lobato Alvarez from Spain wrote:

> Hello from Spain.
> We're working with the DOS 4.3 SW Version, but It does'nt works with
> Windows XP. We've test the new Java SW 5.0 Version and It's perfect
> for us. The problem is that we've work a lot with the DOS version and
> we do'nt want to lost this material.
> How could I convert all ours DOS 4.4 signs to 5.0 Java Version?
> Thanks a lot.
> Eloy Lobato Alvarez
> elobato at wanadoo.es

-----------------

Hello Eloy and Everyone!
Thank you for this message, and welcome to the SignWriting List. I am
happy to answer your questions...

First, here is a summary of software information you should know
about...

1. SignWriter DOS 4.3 is out-of-date. We now have a SignWriter DOS 4.4
version, free for download on the web. Go to:

Download SignWriter DOS 4.4
http://signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/
http://signwriting.org/forums/software/sw44/download/index.html

and there is a version for Spain!

2. Yes. SignWriter DOS does not work on Windows XP, although there is a
program called DOS BOX that makes it possible to run SignWriter DOS on
Windows XP. Would you like to know more about DOS BOX?

3. I will teach you how to use SignWriter Java. However, you should
know that there are many bugs in SignWriter Java. It is not a finished
program. The biggest frustration is that it cannot print!

4. There is a new version of SignWriter Java, called SignWriter Tiger,
that is under development in Switzerland, but SignWriter Tiger is not
even in the beta test phase, so we have to wait for it. So while we are
waiting, we all use SignWriter DOS and SignWriter Java!

SignWriter Tiger
http://www.signwriting.org/forums/software/archive/softarc18.html

5. Yes. You can convert all of your SignWriter DOS files to open in
SignWriter Java, but they must be in SignWriter 4.4 I believe! I am not
sure. I will need to test to see if 4.3 files can open in SignWriter
Java or not...so you should change over to DOS 4.4 first, I
think...then transfer to Java... I will teach you how next message...

6. And last, we have other SignWriting software besides SignWriter DOS
and Java...did you know that? In Brazil there are several new programs,
and here in the US, we have SignBank and SignPuddle...so there are
other options for you later, if you are interested...The newer programs
do not have as many frustrations because they fit with modern operating
systems...

So please see next message for technical support on SignWriter Java...

Great to have List members from Spain!!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWritingSite
http://www.SignWriting.org