[sw-l] Java Stack Trace of Signwriter Tiger

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue May 17 03:03:21 UTC 2005

BTW, for all Mac users, I just learned this from Apple's website
(http://developer.apple.com/java/faq/):

1: What version of Java is included on Mac OS X?

J2SE 5.0 Release 1 for Mac OS X Tiger is now available via manual
download, based on J2SE 5.0 Update 2 (JDK version 1.5.0_02). Mac OS X
Tiger also includes JDK versions 1.4.2_07 and 1.3.1_15. For information
on earlier releases of Java on Mac OS X, please see the Java Version
Strings section of Technical Note 2110. There are no plans to release
J2SE 5.0 for earlier releases of Mac OS X.

Apparently, if we want to get Java 5.0 for Mac OS X, we must upgrade to
Tiger (10.4). It may be that this only applies to the JDK, but I can't
find anything that tells me how to install the JRE only for 10.3 or
lower. Hmmmm.....

Thanks,

Stuart

On May 16, 2005, at 18:11, Trevor Jenkins wrote:

> On Mon, 16 May 2005, Bill Reese <wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM> wrote:
>
>> I have specifically avoided the JDK as the JRE is more likely to be
>> installed on a machine, if at all.
>
> You might be right. But in the end using the JDK rather than JRE jvm
> doesn't make a significant difference on Linux. Almost identical stack
> trace except that the name of final method being overridden is
> different.
>
> Now to do what Lars Majewsk and download/recompile the source code.
> But to
> debug the Linux version I have to do that anyway.
>

>> Bill
>>

>> Trevor Jenkins wrote:

>>> That's exactly the stack trace I get on Linux. I'm using the jvm
>>> from JRE
>>> 5.0 rather than the jvm from the equivalent JDK version. (Sun has
>>> made it
>>> very difficult to find the JDK versions hiding them somewhere other
>>> than
>>> downloads.) Having now found where the JDK 5.0R3 edition is hidden I