[sw-l] Java Stack Trace of Signwriter Tiger

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Tue May 17 03:42:16 UTC 2005

See comments below ...

On May 16, 2005, at 22:16, Valerie Sutton wrote:

> SignWriting List
> May 16, 2005
>
> On May 16, 2005, at 8:03 PM, Stuart Thiessen wrote:
>> Apparently, if we want to get Java 5.0 for Mac OS X, we must upgrade
>> to Tiger (10.4). It may be that this only applies to the JDK, but I
>> can't find anything that tells me how to install the JRE only for
>> 10.3 or lower. Hmmmm.....
>>
> Yes. That is why I just purchased the upgrade to Mac OS X Tiger. I
> assume that the new Tiger operating system has the same name of the
> new Java Tiger for a reason...because they work together in some
> way..I have not installed the new Mac OS X Tiger however...I have not
> been following your conversation...have you gotten it to work on Mac
> OS X any version?...

I think it is a coincidence that Sun picked the same name as Apple for
the next version.  Or maybe this is the year of the Tiger in the
Chinese calendar?  I haven't checked. :)  I haven't purchased Tiger
yet.  I have heard that there are some compatibility issues for Tiger,
so I am waiting to see how that pans out before upgrading.

> New Macs are all shipping with Tiger, so only old Mac users have this
> problem...That is too bad...I will tell you what happens when I get a
> chance to install Mac OS Tiger...
>
> Val ;-)

Yeah. I can easily upgrade my home computer which I bought recently,
but I will have to pay for the upgrade to my laptop.  Sigh.  Not the
best of decisions by Apple in my judgement.  We shouldn't have to
upgrade to the new operating system just to get a new update for Java.
That is silly.  Users of all other operating systems can update to any
version of Java they want regardless of their operating system version
(as long as it is relatively modern).

Oh well.  I guess Mac OS X can't be perfect ;)

Stuart