[sw-l] Re: London based charity endangers SW programs in Nicaragua

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun May 22 20:14:39 UTC 2005

Val,

I do understand James' concerns - what if the Nicaraguan Government takes
notice of Condega, they will expect the Bluefields School to convert to
Oralism etc - that will be a big problem.

Thankfully the Kenyan Education Department expects all deaf schools to use
Signed English (better than oralism only!) - and we hope to start a private
small school next door to Kerugoya School for Deaf Children to train and
instruct deaf kids to become deaf leaders or deaf teachers etc - it is VERY
important to have university educated deafies etc to show the Government
that education thru sign language is preferred.

James, I will go and find out about CIIR but I got a funny feeling they were
asked by the Commonwealth Society for the Deaf (pro-oralism) but I ll let
you know once I get information etc

Shane