[sw-l] SignPuddle 2.0 beta

Fri May 27 23:52:28 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 27, 2005

Steve Slevinski wrote:
> For now, when labeling a sign, only spoken langauges are
> available.  Unicode is supported, but I haven't tested it yet. The
> Labels field can be used for terms, definitions or anything else.
> Each phrase should have it's own line in the labels field.  This
> allows you to have more than one label per langauge per sign.

Is the SignPuddle Community dictionary a multi-lingual dictionary
that takes one sign, and then gives the definitions for that one
sign, in multiple spoken languages?

That is very exciting...

So how do you differentiate the individual gloss-word that you use to
find a sign, and the long phrase that might be associated with that
sign?

When I used the pull-down menu, to choose the spoken language I
wanted to use, the pull-down menu included spoken languages that are
no longer spoken...like Middle English (used in 1500s) and Ancient
Greek (smile)...which no one speaks today!

So can you eliminate the spoken languages that are not used any
longer? The pull-down menu is too long and I could not hold the mouse
down that long because my hand started to hurt...smile...

But generally this is a very interesting idea, because most signs are
used in different countries, but oftentimes have different
meanings...like the sign for COOK in ASL can mean TRANSLATE A
LANGUAGE.... in Danish Sign Language etc...

> SignPuddle 1.0 will stay up and active on SignBank.org for as long
> as it is used.

Wonderful! So we can continue to work as we are right now, plus we
will have these new features on SignPuddle.org....that is great!

many thanks for all this!