[sw-l] how to write dialogues between 2 or more people?

Tue May 31 18:54:27 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 31, 2005

Barbara Pennacchi in Italy wrote:
> The box not only makes it clear that it is merely a supplementary
> information ABOUT the dialogue's spatial setting, but can be used
> in both horizontal and vertical writing.

I am glad you feel this is useful, Barbara...I do too....

By the way, you do not have to be a dancer, to read and write dance!!
smile...My dancing days are over too ;-)

But let me explain a little...

SignWriter DOS, Java, Tiger, Python...they are all using standardized
symbolsets... We call those the SSS or Sign-Symbol-Sequence. The
SSS-1995 was the Sign-Symbol-Sequence used in SignWriter DOS, and the
symbolset was not that large...and it was specifically for
SignWriting. And the Java program uses the SSS-1999. Tiger is using
both and Python is using 1995 I believe.

But there is a new development now...The International Movement
Writing Alphabet (IMWA) (Sutton Movement Writing) is a huge writing
system that also writes dance, not just signs. So SignWriting and
DanceWriting are using the same symbols, but DanceWriting also has
added symbols that until now, were not used much in SignWriting. We
never had a way to create a DanceWriting document by computer, until
SignPuddle, which is not using the SSS-1995, or 1999...but instead is
using the entire IMWA...which means that now the DanceWriting symbols
are available on computer...

And ironically this means that SignWriting is further enhanced by
this, because now we can grab some symbols for DanceWriting, for use
with SignWriting, if need be...and the Room Location symbols are an
example of this....Here is how to access them if you are using
SignPuddle. There are quite a lot of them, and I will be happy to
explain them...