[sw-l] SignWriting Art from Christoph, age 11, in Germany ; -)

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun May 8 12:56:37 UTC 2005

(that’s the email long overdue!)

Val,

That’s excellent about Christoph being non-deaf - we need more non-deaf
people to be fluent in our national sign languages AND able with
signwriting.

I was reading a very sad email last night that basically all deaf kids in
Denmark are now implanted at birth - and parents (unless they are deaf) have
to sign an agreement with schools that they will not use Danish Sign
Language with their implanted children - that was said by a school principal
(headteacher) but I am not sure about "all Danish deaf children" - u might
have more contacts in Denmark than I do, Val - and it's really affecting the
quality of their education - and of course their identity :(

As for "taub", I think German Deafies tend to go for "Gehorlen" (sp?) - (did
I get it wrong - PLEASE CORRECT ME, STEF!)

Good news for u, Val - we are putting together a group of parents with
non-deaf kids with the aim to start Northern Ireland's first NISL-medium
primary/elementary school in Belfast - the majority would be non-deaf of
course - that’s the point - and we will use your system there :D

Now the question is when? :p

Shane