[sw-l] Learn SignWriting by Videophone ;-)

Sun May 8 17:29:50 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 8, 2005

Learn SignWriitng by Videophone continued...

7. The other problem, which is also solvable, had to do with my seeing
what the students were pointing to...I started teaching the class about
how I met their Deaf teacher, Kevin, and I explained the history of
SignWriting briefly, and then I asked if the students had questions.
And the moment the question and answer started, it was hard because the
interpreters were trying to voice the question so I could hear it and I
couldn't hear their questions! So kevin had to come to the videophone
and sign to me what the hearing people were saying...funny, huh?!! So
glad to have Kevin as my interperter - ha!

8. Then, they had other very fancy equipment, that took their computer
screen and made the screen very very large on a big screen...and I
couldn't see their big screen, so I didn't know where they were on the
computer! So I was continually asking...Did you click on that icon, and
what do you see now on your screen?...So in the future we need to
devise a way for me to be able to see everything they see...smile..

9. But having said all this...it was a wonderful experience anyway! We
all laughed together about the technology...and that helped us relax
and get to know each other...and the questions from the students were
great...they asked if we wrote ASL grammar or English grammar, and I
explained about how we encourage writing good ASL grammar because we
respect the language and feel it is time for a written form for ASL
that will preserve the language for future generations...and some of
the non-deaf students thanked me at the end of the session, saying that
their concept of the potential for ASL had been greatly enhanced...they
understood better that it is a real language and they were
amazed...this was a Deaf Studies class and all the students were new to
the class...some of the students were totally new to Deafness-related
topics...so they were learning something very new and I think Kevin is
an excellent teacher for them...

10. And SignPuddle was fun! I showed them how to send an email message
with SignWriting in SignPuddle, and how to search for signs with all 4
methods...by words, signs, symbols and symbol-frequency, and I taught
them how to drag and drop a sign from SignPuddle into a Microsoft Word
document...

11. One student wanted to know about linguistics and wanted to know
about details in linguistics and Kevin started teaching her facial
expressions on a chart, but I could not see the chart, so I suggested
that she contact me through email later and I would be happy to answer
her questions...

So that was the experience! When it was all over, I was amazed. It felt
like I had just taught at a local college for a one hour presentation,
and yet I had not left my home...so I took a walk and thought about it,
and I am really happy we have this opportunity for the future...

Any questions, class? smile...Val ;-)