[sw-l] Denmark and SignWriting...

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Sun May 8 20:10:59 UTC 2005

> Lucyna,
>
> Why would parents put their deaf kids in deaf schools if education there
> is
> very poor - that is their excuse and I agree with them on this.
>
> We have to give them high quality bilingual education - and to make PJM
> education sustainable, you need to take in non-deaf kids etc etc.
>
> Deaf education is already dead - no thanks to the CI people
>
> Shane

Shane, you're quite right but as far as I know the Polish reality, bilingual
education is still a thing of the future... Frankly speaking, I see only bad
things in Polish Deaf education (there is no SL education here) but yet I
have some hope the things will change...

A week ago I was at the Krakow Pedagogical University, which I graduated a
few years ago, to give a speech on PJM and SW to Deaf Education students and
doctors. NONE of them even tried to sign to me or at least use finger
spelling! Fortunately I could read read their lips and understand their
questions, and some where odd to me:
1. Do you think that 4-5-year deaf children should learn PJM?
2. Do you think that Deaf people should work as teachers in schools for the
Deaf?
3. What does Professor Szczepankowski think about SignWriting?
(Szczepankowski is the author of Signed Polish, which is currently used in
Polish schools for the Deaf).

Lucyna