[sw-l] Spanish SignWriters -- please identify yourselves

Mon May 9 15:06:12 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 9, 2005

James Shepard-Kegl, Esq. wrote:
> Prof. Judy Kegl, who directs the Signed Languages Linguistics
> Laboratory at
> the University of Southern Maine and sits on the board of trustees of
> Nicaraguan Sign Language Projects, Inc., has asked me to compile a
> list with
> contact info of Spanish SignWriters that she might try to link up with
> when
> she visits Spain later this month.   Judy will be travelling to
> Vitorio,
> Bilboa and Barcelona....

Hello James, Judy and Everyone!
This is great. I just wrote to Steve and Dianne Parkhurst, who live in
Madrid, and are the authors of the SignWriting textbook SignoEscritura.
They are not on the SignWriting List. I asked them if they have
contacts for some of the 500 or so people, who have used SignWriting in
Spain in the past decade...You can also write to them directly...I know
that Steve and Dianne have worked with Deaf groups in both Madrid and
Barcelona. As you know, Barcelona generally uses another sign
language...Spanish Sign Language from Madrid, is not the same language
as Catalonian Sign Language from Barcelona...but SignWriting is used by
some in Barcelona now too...so it is spreading to two signed languages
in Spain...

Steve and Dianne Parkhurst
steve-dianne_parkhurst at sil.org

SignWriting in Spain