[sw-l] about "hold" and "together" symbols

Wed May 11 18:18:08 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 11, 2005

Barbara Pennacchi from Italy wrote:
> The first is about the "(" symbol, used when the hands move together
> at the same time. We've noticed that, in the paper version of the
> manual, it is used in 2 different positions, with the curve pointing
> down or up. Is there any special meaning attached to it, which didn't
> get explained in the manual?

Hello Barbara and Everyone...
Those Timing Symbols, in this case the Same-Time Movement
symbols...they rotate in all 8 directions but the meaning does not
change...the rotations are simply nice when some signs have symbols
high or low...so the rotations are there for visual ease of reading,
but do not change meaning...that is true with all the Timing Symbols
(see attached)...