AW: [sw-l] about "hold" and "together" symbols

Wed May 11 22:05:24 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie,

I do not think that we need a rule  like this - but if feels good to me to
place it underneath - maybe it has become a habit ...

..but yes - I place it almost always beneath the hand ...

there might be exceptions - smile -

Stefan ;-)

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu] Im Auftrag von Valerie Sutton
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 11. Mai 2005 20:31
An: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Betreff: Re: [sw-l] about "hold" and "together" symbols

SignWriting List
May 11, 2005

Barbara Pennacchi in Italy wrote:
> The second question regards the "~" symbol. It has two meanings in
> different contexts: as "hold-this-hand-here" when near a handshape, or
> as "sign-me-tense" (if I recall correctly) when near movement symbols.
> When using it in the first way, it shoud always be placed UNDER the
> hand or can it be placed above? (some of my Deaf fellows placed it
> above the hand). What's the best way to place the tilde to avoid any
> misunderstanding (especially if the movement symbols are close by)?

That is an interesting question...Generally I have placed it below for
holding a hand in space, but I don't believe we ever made any rules
about that......so before we make a rule, let's try it both ways for a
little while and then maybe all of you can give me your opinions?

Does anyone feel strongly that the Tension Symbol should always be
placed beneath the hands, when holding a hand firmly in space?  See
attached...