[sw-l] Re: London based charity endangers SW programs in Nicaragua

Sun May 22 19:20:12 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
May 22, 2005

James Shepard-Kegl wrote regarding Nicaragua...
> The Condega Deaf school, operated by an organization called Los
> Pipitos, and the Bluefields Deaf school were the only Deaf schools
> in Nicaragua to employ Deaf teachers and to teach SignWriting...

Dear SW List, James -
I am sorry you are having financial problems, James, and I admire
you, that you keep going....Keep courage. You are doing a lot for
Nicaraguan children...your Sign Language/SignWriting educational
programs have worked well...

Oralism will come and go throughout history, but Sign Languages and
SignWriting will always exist no matter what the trend is in Deaf
Education...In my opinion, you made the right choice to use
Nicaraguan Sign Language with your students...

http://www.unet.maine.edu/courses/NSLP/

http://www.signwriting.org/nicaragua/nicaragua.html

http://www.nslpinc.org/