[sw-l] Re: London based charity endangers SW programs in Nicaragua

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Mon May 23 17:20:28 UTC 2005

On Mon, 23 May 2005, Antony Daamen <adaamen at OPTUSNET.COM.AU> wrote:

Makes my blood boil too but quite honestly I'm not surprised that an
organisation based in England would promote Oralism. Sadly this is the
dominant educative programme used here in Britain. It is a direct
consequence of Milan 1880 and the imposition of Oralism on Deaf education.
And since the Warnock Report in 1978 and the subsequent Education Act 1981
plus the revisions thereof the mantra has been Inclusion, Inclusion,
Inclusion. This follows on from the Salamenca declaration from UNESCO that
Inclusion is the only true way to deliver education to all students.
Doesn't matter whether students have enough language to access the
curriculum so long as it is delivered in an inclusive environment. Why?
Because it saves money and that is the sole purpose of the Warnock Report
and the Edu Act 1981 and later. As to how effective it is the tribunal
that makes the final arbitration in cases under the Education Acts does
not keep any statistics! They just assume that their judgements result in
the best for the child.

There is a considerable body of anecdotal evidence supporting the idea
that inclusive education of Deaf students is inadequate. Groups such as
Deaf EX-mainstreamers have collected some of that evidence. Read their
Between a Rock and a Hard Place or the collection of auto-biographical
accounts at www.deafeducation.org. There is some overlap between the
material in those collections. For further evidence read Paddy Ladd's PhD
thesis published as Understanding Deaf Culture: In Search of Deafhood
published by Multilingual Matters. Anyone wanting to see the extremes that
Oralists will go to only has to look at the photograph from Fischer and
Lane 1973 that Ladd includes as one of the plates. Ladd's own experience
are documented in his "Making Plans for Nigel" which is included on the
Deaf Education web site. By the way don't mix up Deaf Education at
www.deafeducation.org with www.deafeducation.org.uk as the latter is DELTA
a rabid Oralist group.

The recognition in March 2003 of BSL as a minority language by Her
Majesty's Government caught the Oralists on the back foot. Going out to
other countries especially one that linguists are excited about because of
the spontaneous creation of a new language means the Oralists are scared
and want to suppress sign languages whereever they become dominat. These
idiots still hold to a view of Deaf people as Aristotilian "natural
slaves" so what do they care if they mess up the lives of Deaf people.

I'll climb down off my soapbox now.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!