[sw-l] my signwriting attempt + sign=word or concept?

Antony Daamen adaamen at OPTUSNET.COM.AU
Sun May 29 23:50:56 UTC 2005

stefan wrote:
here is our German sign for „ der Zug“ oder “die Bahn” - -

(without the Mundbilder there is no chance to distinguish ... )

Hi stefan and others,

My attempt at SignWriting
have a look at this website: http://www.auslan.org.au/index.cfm?.

This is Australian Sign Language and I would like for you to look at the
sign for Australia.

Then look at what I have concocted at the Auslan sign library.  Is that
right?

Word for sign/sign for word or concept?

Have a look at "religion", or "allow"

The first sign for allow can mean
 (copy/pasted)
Keywords associated with this sign
allow
authorise
authority
let
permission
permit

The third sign for religion can mean:
(copy/pasted)
Keywords associated with this sign
church
churchgoer
denomination
religion
religious
temple

This sign have different English meanings depending on the context.
This shows that in Auslan (and dare I say in most sign languages) the signs
are depicting concepts.

The Deaf do understand what de sign means regardless of what the mouth looks
like.  Hence the sign can be interpreted in English, German Japanese.... The
same as English, German Japanese..van be translated into every sign language
in the world!

I have interpreted between my wife (Auslan) and  my father and his wife
(Dutch).  There was no need to word the mouth Dutch to indicate a difference
in meaning between similar signs but different meaning depending on context.
 Or explain to my father why I used different signs for the same word.

for example the word "appreciate", I can use the double handed "thank you",
or the sign for "understand", depending on the context.

As you well know stefan, in Dutch, German and English are many words that
may have several words depending on context in the other language.  However,
there is no need to make a distinction. hey there is one of those words:
distinction", can be translated in Dutch in different words. However "to
make a distinction" is a concept as a whole and thus need to be translated
as a whole.....
I forgot the Dutch synomym.... you can help me there? :-)

Therefore for me, there is no need to distinguish between "der Zug" or "die
Bahn" as the Deaf will understand out fo the context which you mean.

It will not help German reading or writing, and dare I say little help to
speaking German.  There are over 100 muscles involved in speaking and you
only show the mouth and possibly cheek muscles....

I appreciate that you do some very good work there in Germany, just wanted
to get this of my chest.

Like to hear your thought on these points....

Antony