Kathleens visit to Dublin

Tue Nov 8 15:56:23 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
November 8, 2005

My dear friends, and Shane!

Everyone in the world who chooses to learn to use SignWriting, are
welcome in my world, with open arms...including those who choose to
use it in research, and are not necessarily salesmen or able to be
public about their usage...Everyone is very different and I accept
those differences with open arms...

Patrick Mathews is a researcher, and is not a person who necessarily
wants to teach. But I am very grateful to Patrick for being so kind
to me, and for being so hard-working. He asked me to edit three of
his books that use SignWriting, and I am happy to see that he wants
to write SignWriting well...He learns slowly and carefully. That fits
the university kind of world he lives in...the world of research. In
the world of research they oftentimes do not share their dissertation
until it is completed...that is just the way it is...and I accept
that with respect. Lots of researchers do that in the US too...in all
countries of the world, researchers do not discuss their
dissertations..that is normal!

I am well aware that a decade ago, in Ireland, there were people who
fought over SignWriting. Believe me, I was amazed and saddened,
sitting half way around the world, knowing that such arguments had
happened in Dublin. I had not planned on that for SignWriting, which
is my gift to the world...to anyone rich or poor...to all groups
equally...all are equal in my mind...The only thing I ask, is that
people want to learn to write signs properly, and that SignWriting
remains a positive, uplifting and warm experience for everyone...

So Shane, please listen to me as your friend, and as the person who
started all this...I am asking that you do not feel any anger towards
anyone using SignWriting...be happy they are using it, and leave it
at that...and go on with your own work...YOU learn SignWriting...that
is what matters...

SignWriting is a big family and I want it to remain a wonderful
loving family...

I am now going to call Ingvild to congratulate her on her new
chapters of her book, that are really beautiful and then I have
guests coming, but then Theirry and everyone, at the end of the day,
and Anny in French-Switzerland, I will try to get to your private
requests...your work is wonderful!

And Shane - I have not forgotten teaching you the numbers and I look
forward to getting back to that too! I hope you can go ahead and try
to write the numbers from 20 to 50? Thanks for all you are doing in
Northern Ireland... I bet you will have your own books someday too...
and it will spread to the schools...but you need literature for the
teachers, so that is why it is important that you learn SignWriting
well first...

Val ;-)