SIGNBANK: Use SignPuddle to Create A SignBank For Your Country

Fri Nov 18 15:40:17 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
November 18, 2005

> Ingvild Roald wrote:
> Just now I am writing signs into the SignPudle for my presentation
> to all the Sign Language researchers in Norway on Saturday next. So
> my next question is: How can I get the signs from SignPuddle into
> SignBank??? Ingvild

Hello Ingvild and Everyone!
Thank you for this question. I will be happy to teach you how to use
SignPuddle to create your own Norwegian SignBank.

I will start a series of Lessons teaching how to create your own
SignBank from SignPuddle this weekend...or at the latest, the lessons
will start this coming Monday. And the lessons will be
ongoing...because SignBank is a very rich program with many features
to learn!

This will help several other projects too. I believe there are
others, in French-Belgium perhaps? and perhaps Brazil? who have
expressed interest in publishing vocabulary lists and printed
dictionaries sorted by Sign-Symbol-Sequence. SignBank also makes it
possible to create multiple-language dictionaries, between several
spoken and signed languages within one document. Plus you can search
by sophisticated linguistic searches, and work on SignSpelling
issues, create picture-dictionaries for children, and there is a
place to add video clips and animation for each sign...SignBank also
provides the complete SymbolBank, so you can search for individual
symbols to study them.

SignPuddle is the way we prepare the signs, that are then placed in
SignBank.

Since SignBank is a desktop program, and since it does not require
FileMaker or any other software, and since it can be used in both
Macintosh and Windows computers, it is a great partner with
SignPuddle, which provides the way to write the signs themselves.

The two programs, SignBank and SignPuddle, are the only programs we
know of, that are using the IMWA...I test the IMWA in SignBank before
I place the symbols in SignPuddle (with Steve's help of course!)...

Sooo...I need to upload the latest version of SignBank onto the web,
so you can download it, with the new 10 handshapes and so many other
changes that we made to the IMWA recently... I need another day
before I will be able to upload the new SignBank...

Once the up-to-date SignBank is on the web for you to download, I
will announce it, and then once you have downloaded it, we can begin
the lessons...

Thanks for asking!!

And best of luck with all your great projects in Norway, Ingvild!

Sutton at SignWriting.org

1. SignWriting
http://www.SignWriting.org
Read & Write Sign Languages