BRAZIL tongue position inside the mouth

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Nov 19 16:10:18 UTC 2005

I guess, Valerie, what he's wanting to show is the difference between "velar" (the tongue at the roof of the mouth (like where it goes for a k or a g) and alveolar (like the letters t or d) or gutteral (like the gh in Arabic) or glottal (like the sound h). I know you can show labio-fricative (like for f or v) but I'm not sure if you can show the "sh" position of the teeth and the tongue.  The fourth column only shows the tongue inside the mouth, it doesn't distinguish, that I can see, between these many positions, and from a distance, I'm not sure it can.  There may be a way, I'm just not sure that I have seen it through the years with sign writing.  There may be a good way to adapt what we have to that usage.

  Charles Butler

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
  SignWriting List
November 19, 2005

Augusto wrote:
> How can I write with SW the tongue´s position inside the mouth?
> It´s possible?

----------------------

Hello Augusto!
I just sent you another email privately, inviting you to become an
Editor of the Brazilian SignPuddle. I sent it to this email address:

Augusto at dicionariolibras.com.br

Is that the correct email address? I sent this before...a long time
ago...but I don't believe you got it...anyway...be sure to click on
the link in the email-invitation to establish your password, so you
can start adding signs to the Brazilian SignPuddle...

Now...regarding your question...Yes. We do have many Tongue symbols.
Go to your SignPuddle:

Brazilian SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-BR

and click on the SignMaker icon. Then click on this symbol, and other
symbols appear...They are the Tongue symbols...see attached diagram.
Tongue on the inside of the mouth is the fourth column over to the
right...hope this helps...