Sign Writing Experiment

Saduf Naqvi saduf_naqvi at YAHOO.CO.UK
Tue Nov 1 02:15:22 UTC 2005

Dear All,

Firstly I want to say an open THANKYOU for Valeries
hard work yesterday, it was really helpful and the
results were great.

I paid for some video transcription into sign
writing with Val.  It was so helpful, and we consulted
over email non-stop.

Asides from that the wonderful this was that the money
goes towards developing more resources to assist sign
writing projects.

I told my participants about it, and they saw the
visual connection of the notation instantly.

They really loved it and I mentioned the approach of
the sign writing list, and how it is encouraged to
write and discuss notation, you really do have
ownership over what is done.

With many sign language representations, the reason
why they are so strongly rejected is because the
community often feels a lack of involvement in the
development of the language tools.

However with sign writing it is not only encouraged to
develop sign writing, but its taught and discussed in
great length over the sign writing list.

They were all fascinated and really interested.  And
they both mentioned how they can see its application
being successfull, only if more people knew how to
sign write.

My evaluations are to continue but I will share the
results with everyone once they are completed.

take care and have a great evening (I'll now get some
 sleep!!!)

Saduf