Kathleens visit to Dublin

Shane Gilchrist O hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 8 09:21:01 UTC 2005

Kathleen,

too bad we didnt meet up - i had the date put down in my diary - but I was
busy chasing after my 30 teachers (FOUR SICK TEACHERS ON MY HANDS AND
SEVERAL ANNOYING SCHOOLS!!!)

i ll reply to Val's piece of history - theres alot of controversy down
South.

Patrick Matthews - I am disappointed that he didnt choose to teach
SignWriting to the students at the CDS - it would make a big impact - but I
will meet up with Pat McDowell the new CDS Director and talk to him about
that - I ll want to talk to him about having the CDS students learning NISL
(we will expect our own interpreters up North to learn ISL & NISL - its
natural that terps down South would do the same)

Even so, he isnt very good at marketing the SignWriting in Ireland.

I hope with your visit to him, Kathleen, it will make him think - but hes
one of the people who think its okay for them to keep things to themselves -
thats from the general deaf population (thats the general attitude among the
deaf academics in the UK and Ireland) - for instance I am very impressed by
the deaf academics in Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany etc - they DO get
involved in deaf politics, trying to change deaf education - for instance
Thierry on the LSFB Commission, his hard works with the deaf schools in
South Belgium - and for instance Kristof and his gang in North Belgium so on
- if it wasnt for universities etc, SignWriting wont be introduced to
Kasterlinden - and theres a good chance Kasterlinden might not even go
bilingual if it wasn't for the universities.

With attitudes like that in Dublin, I dont think we ll see SignWriting being
introduced to the 3 deaf schools at Cabra :-(

Shane