P/T Lecturers in British Sign Language - United Kingdom, Gloucestershire

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Tue Oct 11 20:53:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 11 Oct 2005, Tim Grove <tim_grove at sil.org> wrote:

> I went searching for BSL courses at our local further education college
> website (www.gloscat.ac.uk) and I found that they are looking for
> teachers!

Unfortunately, this is typical of many colleges running BSL evening
courses. Finding a tutor to teach a course is nearly as difficult as
finding enough students to make the course viable. The college I work at
(as a Communication Support Worker) has enough tutors but has had to
cancel one of its classes because only two students enrolled. Thankfully
other courses (different times or dates) have adequate enrollments.

As you are looking for BSL courses I presume that you have checked the
CACDP web site (http://www.cacdp.org.uk/) for other organisations that
might be running courses. For example, if you lived near south west
Hertfordshire or Buckinghamshire(*) not only are local colleges running
evening courses but so too is, at least, one church. Indeed if it were my
turn on the facilitator's rota I'd be there right now photocopying and
serving refreshments to tutors/students alike rather than replying to this
email. ;-) (We run Level 1, Level 2 year 1 and now Level 2 year 2 courses.
Plus some other CACDP courses. Our CACDP-qualified tutors attend the
church too.)

(*) As some of our students live in High Wycombe other members of SIL in
the same area might be interested in future courses. ;-)

> I don't know who this list may reach that could be interested,
> but if anyone is, the following info and more can be found at
> http://www.gloscat.ac.uk/jobs/. Just scroll down the listings and you
> should find it.

Get the college to post their ad to the Deaf-UK-jobs mailing list. Other
colleges do.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!