Summary of writing steps for SignWriting

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Fri Oct 7 13:55:31 UTC 2005

Good point. I agree with your distinction about writing lexical items
and writing a sign in discourse. Perhaps that means I should expand #1?

1. Identify the sign's anchor. For lexical items, it may mean the
neutral space in front of the body or it could be some location on or
near the body. In some cases, body shifts or other non-manual markers
may shift the "anchor" of the sign to a different location than its
lexical "anchor" during a discourse. Further, signs whose "anchors"
have spatial meaning (such as index pronouns or polycomponential verbs)
may vary widely where their "anchor" is located depending on its use in
a sentence.

(Side Note: I learned that some linguists prefer the term
"polycomponential verbs" instead of "classifiers". I think their
reasoning makes sense when you consider the original linguistic meaning
for "classifier".  So that is why I used that term above.)

Does this take us closer to a helpful description?

Thanks,

Stuart