Research into Digital Representations of Sign Language

Tue Oct 11 00:04:08 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
October 10, 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 3:31 PM, Saduf Naqvi wrote:
> Don't worry I didn't take offence, I completely understand your
> concern, and
> welcome your feedback.

Hello Stuart, Saduf and Everyone -
No problems, Stuart...There are no worries from me either...I agree
that it is easy to mis-use the terms American Sign Language, or
British Sign Language, when those two terms do not just mean the
signs used within the US, Canada and Great Britain, but rather refer
to the grammars of those languages as well...The terms should be used
to refer to the native signed languages of the area, and not just
glossing email!!  But the glosses of individual signs, even though
they may not produce a true ASL or BSL, still have stimulated some
people to learn some SignWriting symbols...so it has some value...and
I know that in the future, we will have email that can be typed
directly in SignWriting symbols, just like I am typing this English
with symbols directly for this email message...but even then, not
every typist will know the good grammar of BSL...that will take time
to learn how to type in the grammar of naturally-evolved BSL...

So Saduf...I have not been reading every email because I just got
back from an appointment but in summary, before the advent of
computers, we had a group of Deaf people here in California where I
live, who worked with me, and they were mostly native ASL signers, or
at least grew up in residential Deaf schools so their signing was
their first mode of communication...and we wrote signs by hand
because there were no computers and we had a real writing system
directly in the movements of signed languages, without using any
English glosses or any spoken language at all...

And in Spain, they have a novel written in Spanish Sign Language in
SignWriting without any spoken language at all in the entire book, so
I believe deeply that we have a true writing system, even if it is
used differently in different places around the world...SignWriting
is used in Germany to teach both signs and spoken German with
success, and it is used in Brazil too, and in France, Belgium,
Nicaragua, Norway...oh...gosh...so many wonderful places...there is
no way I can tell you all the projects in one message...

Recently I had a great phone conversation with Pastor Dettloff from
the Deaf Church in Michigan, where they use SignWriitng in their
Bible Study...and they LOVE SignPuddle because different church
members can add their own signs to the dictionary online...and they
have some people in their church who really read
SignWriting...without it they could not read the Bible passages
apparently, so that is nice to know the tool is useful....

Here are some of the SignPuddles online:

39 SignPuddle Dictionaries
http://signbank.org/signpuddle

1. American Sign Language
http://signbank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US